Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Wed, 15 Aug, Into Hanover


Wednesday, 15 August, Day 36, 18.8 miles, The Johnson Family, Hanover NH…WOOHOO!!, by Crocadilly - I woke up at 0530 this morning and along with several of the others made coffee and heaved myself up the ladder to the look out to enjoy the sunrise. It was a little cloudy but still stunning and certainly worth getting up early for. Actually I love getting up this early and being awake before the rest of the world. It is amazing though how cold it is starting to get already in the early mornings and evenings - you can tell we are headed towards the autumn and before we know it it will be here. Every time I think about the changing temperatures it brings me out in a cold sweat thinking of all the extra weight I will be carrying with my winter gear! This is why I am determined not to slack pack too much despite having that option because there will be times in the future when it is not feasible and having a full pack again will come as quite a shock!! The morning walk was quite tough going with some steep hill climbs. These are the ones that always take you by surprise. Hiking up peaks like Killington I guess you are mentally prepared or the climb is so high that the switchbacks you walk along are more graded. But with these shorter summits they often feel like you are walking straight uphill as opposed to be taken up gradually. There were quite a few hill climbs today and Papa Wolf was having a day like I had yesterday. I was feeling great and although it was tough going I was enjoying the challenge the walk was providing.  We summited one particularly tough going hill which afforded great views of the valley below and was a great stop for a snack and some photo opportunities. The day was quite hot and very sunny. As we were breaking for lunch, we received a phone call from Thirty Pack saying that he was in Woodstock with Papa Wolfs Mom. So after lunch Papa Wolf decided to head to Woodstock with Tailbone to see his mother. I carried on and hiked with Rampage, Apollo and Weezy. Apollo took the lead and I was third in line and determined to keep up with the guys! This is the first time I have followed someone else's pace and not hiked on my own terms (Papa Wolf and I hike at our own paces or I take the lead and he hikes behind me!) We only had about nine more miles to hike and after one initial climb and few further more gentle climbs the rest of the way was relatively easy going and in the shade of the wood. They introduced me to a great game…"I am going on a trip and I am going to take with me…" you go down the line and have to add an item you are taking after repeating without slipping up what everyone else before you has mentioned in terms of their items. It’s essentially a round robin memory game and you keep going until someone messes up! - this is the type of game that at the best of times I am crap at, let alone when I am hiking and concentrating on keeping up with the pace and not tripping over roots and stones!!! I normally struggle to hold a conversation whilst hiking…not because I am antisocial but because I just tend to concentrate on the job in hand and get immersed in my own thoughts. So here I was hiking with others and having to use my brain but it was a great afternoon and I thoroughly enjoyed hiking with the guys and managed to keep up! And managed to play the game! It was really enjoyable and you can imagine the random stuff we came up with! So I managed to walk and think all at the same time woohoo!! We stopped for a couple of rests, one on top of a hill and the other to gorge on more blackberries! The final 4.7 miles went really fast and we managed to hold down one whole game for that entire length of the hike without dropping a go! Pretty impressive! Tonight we are staying with Tailbone's dads best friend and his family who are kindly putting us all up - several in the garden and us in the house! So we got to the cars and drove to their house which is in the delightful town of Hanover. This is an awesome town and incredibly hiker friendly - a lot of the stores give free sandwiches and drinks and other food stuffs to hikers. Families in the town leave hiker boxes with cookies and drinks and other good stuff at the edges of their driveways and some even provide free lodging! We got to our destination for the evening and walked into Hanover. I was shattered! We were pleased to see some of our friends who we haven’t seen in a while including Yukon and Boomer! We had a great meal at a pizza place which gives hikers a free slice each! I had two on top of that! I have never eaten three slices of pizza that big before - we are talking those big New York slices that you only normally eat one of…sometimes I disgust myself! Papa wolf only managed two as he had had lunch in town earlier. I managed one beer before I felt totally sleepy and had to toddle off to bed at the grand time of just gone ten pm! I had wanted to stay up and see the bars aswell…maybe tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment