Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

28 July 2012

Saturday 28 July, Day 18 AT v2.0, 7.8 miles, Rocky Ridge Motel, New Milford CT. By CrocaDilly - ...and then there was rain! Wow what a day! Skye was so much better and both the puppies were bouncing around this morning! We had a fairly leisurely morning getting ready and having coffee round the camp fire with everyone ! Mango very kindly offered us the opportunity to slack pack once again which we gladly took up (think it may be tough going back to hiking with backpacks after this little hiatus! The boys slack packed too much to their enjoyment! They love rolling around on the floor on their backs when the packs are off which is especially hilarious to watch just after the packs have been taken off and even more so if there is a hill involved because they will wiggle all the way to the bottom!! Anyhoo the going was made so much easier with out packs and it was really nice to be hiking in a big group - very different dynamic to the hike and I enjoy it / makes me move faster! Sammy was also hiking with rampage -so cute to have another dog hiking in the mix for Mojo and Skye to hike with too! We had just summited a hill and were all enjoying a slight break when it started to rain! What ensued shortly after was a storm of epic proportions which was probably as bad as the storm we had hunkered down for the other night! It took us all by surprise! The thunder and lightening were close and very impressive. Mojo and Skye were a little scared and chose to run between Scott and I. I was running down hill fast as we all knew mango would be waiting at the car at the bottom! I have never been so wet! I have since found out that the local weather said about 5 1/2 inches of rain fell in one and a half hours and we were headed down hill! I don't know why I bothered running as i could not have been more wet had I been lounging about in a pool for several hours. I guess it was a matter of survival and to avoid getting struck by lightening and to keep warm and get to the car! My fingers were starting to get that lovely prune effect and going numb. Half way down the hill Sammy decided he could not go any further as the storm was so scary and hid beneath a bush. rampage appeared cradling him in his arms several minutes after we had all got to the car having had to carry him down the rest of the rather precarious hill the rest of the way in the pouring rain. At the bottom we all set about formulating a plan for getting dry and getting three dogs, 9 people complete with backpacks to a motel. A few of us went on a reconnaissance mission to a town 15 mins away leaving Scott and the dogs and a few other unlucky hikers in the rain! We got to a motel where we had been promised a good rate .... Isnt it funny how that all changes once you get to a place and things suddenly escalate in price! After a complete debacle we ended up back at the drop off point with the rest of the gang everyone by now incredibly cold and in the pouring rain! We managed to get hold of a motel in the end and a good Samaritan offered a lift to some of the group leaving three dogs, approx 6 packs and about six hikers in one small Honda - a very impressive feat! I have once again in a short space of time never been so thankful to see a shower bed and coffee in one room! I was so cold and wrinkled I could not wait to get in the shower and Just jumped straight in fully clothed! By the time I was finished it looked like a muddy massacre had taken place in there! It was also at this point that I realized my error in bringing only two changes of shorts... I had a top for town buy no fresh trousers or shorts of any kind! Bearing in mind the clothes I am wearing today are soaked, i hadn't showered or done any laundry up to this point since last sunday! As for my dry second pair of shorts... I have never in my life smelled anything so bad EVER! I am surprised they didn't self combust! I couldnt contemplate wearing them into town to do the laundry and dinner run so ended up in my husbands shorts eek! Yep that is how gross they were - mental note to self to get town shorts when shopping next! Apollo rampage mango papa wolf and I headed into town whilst the others showered and hung out! Had the most amazing Chinese buffet and headed back to the motel with freshly laundered clothes finally yay! It was great to have a chance to shower and catch up with the Olympics and sleep in a bed again ! I can't believe we all got caught out so badly by such horrific weather! Another shorter than expected day but great to hang out and relax with such an awesome group of people and be warm safe dry and smell okay again! :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment