Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Monday, 20 August


Monday, 20th August, Day 41, 10.2 miles, Super 8 Motel, White River Junction VT. The feverish ramblings of Crocadilly - At about 0330 am this morning having been woken up for about the fifth time with a horrendous temperature, bizarre dreams and excruciating stomach cramps I decided that I would not be going anywhere fast. So I am still at the Super 8 and super frustrated. Papa Wolf surprised me by coming back to visit for the evening which is just what the doctor ordered. I do feel like we should paint a cross on the door like they did during the plague and shout "bring out your dead!". I am hoping to be better enough to hike tomorrow but it is quite a climb up Mt Moosilauke which I have been looking forward to…seeing as I had to sit down in the shower because showering was such an effort I am thinking I may be missing out yet again - disappointing but I might as well get 100% better as the trail is just going to get tougher. Mt Moosilauke is the first of the big mountains you hit coming into the whites - I was considering it a gateway to the next stage of our hike. Oh well….
By Papa Wolf - Up at 5:45 to catch the sunrise on top of the firetower. Had breakfast and a cup of coffee and was still on the trail at 0730…that has to be a record for me. Today's hike was awesome. A gentle four mile down on a great trail is about the perfect way to start the day. After that warm up we had two sporty and rocky ups and downs. On top of the mountains we were able to look back and see the fire tower were we stayed last night. It’s a nice sense of achievement to see what you have walked the last few hours. We discovered, while on top of the mountains and had phone service, that Mango and Crocadilly were not getting out of bed anytime soon. Rampage asked if maybe Mango and Tailbone could come pick up their beautiful dog, Sammy, as the rocks and climbs will be getting much more difficult and treacherous for the dogs. So…although I am loving these last few days, I took the opportunity to come back to take care of my poor wifey. I know she wants to hike these mountains so I did not want to do too many miles without her so this was a good opportunity to stop and wait for her. This is a good example of how having this support vehicle is excellent and well worth it.   
Looking back at the FireTower on top of the mountain.

Zoomed in...FireTower on left
     

No comments:

Post a Comment