Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day 1-2 Ver 2.0 :)

11 July, Day 1 trail version 2.0, 5.9 miles, Campsite. By CrocaDilly...first day on the trail for crocadilly and tail bone and first day back for papa wolf. We are hiking with cheeks and of course the boys! We eased into the trail with a steady six mile day starting at 3:44pm having been dropped off by papa wolfs mom at the Mohican outdoor center Nj. The first day for me was exhilarating taking those first few trepidatious steps waiting to see if something burns pulls or doesn't feel quite right but it was good and a relatively comfy start. The pack felt a wee bit heavy but we made good pAce enjoyed some gorgeous scenery saw our first fire tower and encountered some thunder and light rain. We set up camp easily enjoyed some home Made zucchini bread and Mac n cheese over the camp fire which was waiting for us thanks to the lovely cheeks! Her first solo camp fire yay! Have really enjoyed the first day and hiking with my boys! Mojo of course had to swim in a sWamp whilst wearing his pack it now smells really bad! Also gt a taste of trail magic! Someone had left sodas and water at a road so that was splendid - don't think getting trail magic within your first three miles is the norm though. Off to bed well past hiker midnight which is 9pm its half past ten! Happy  days :) By TailBone...Day 1 in the wilderness! Crikey! Hiked 6 miles from the Mohican Outdoor Center to the top of a mountain in New Jersey. The only specific location I could even attempt to give you is that we are somewhere past a fire tower and some power lines. When you see the smoke of a distant fire, feel free to howl and you will get most definitely get a response. If Crocadilly, me, and Papa Wolf were to represent a body, Crocadilly would be the head, followed by a long torso with me acting as the lower lumbar (apt since my trail name is Tailbone) and Papa Wolf acting as the legs. I was slow going to say the least, but when we traipsed into camp, I had a grand sense of accomplishment. Cheeks had a fire going which was great and even though it is really early in the regular world, we are all pretty tired, so it's about 9pm and I am laying in my tent writing this by headlamp (not a new fashion statement, I can assure you), about to fall asleep. Oh the times, they are a-changin'. Attempting to sleep without my beloved mountain of pillows will be great fun, I'm sure. To be real honest, it will probably be better for my back (haha!). Day 2 tomorrow-- wahooooo!   12 July, Day 2 trail version 2.0, 8.4 miles, Brink Road Shelter. From TailBone...reveling in the hills and valleys. It was harder today as I have developed blisters and am chafing. Holla! We had great views crossing Rattlesnake Mountain and although the trail is still pretty rocky, it's not unpleasant. Questioned myself on what the heck I was doing out here but upon entering the shelter site where we are staying tonight, again that sense of accomplishment felt awesome. We're hiking 12 miles tomorrow, which I'm a little nervous about since before yesterday, I don't remember ever even hiking more than 3 miles. But it will be a new experience and I'm also really excited about it. Better rest up-- I'm tired! (Btw it's not even 7:30! This is nuts!) 

No comments:

Post a Comment