Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

17 July 2012

17 July, Day 7 trail version 2.0, 0 miles Appalachian Motel, NJ.  By Crocadilly. We stayed in Vernon last night to give Tailbones feet a chance to recuperate. Unfortunately it looks like the feet are pretty toasted  and so contingency plans have been laid to  get her off the trail so she can rest up.Marti, Papa Wolfs mom will come and pick her up in the morning and she will rest up in NY and return to the trail in tip top condition. I am sad to see Her go but it is just for a short time and for the best. she really has done amazingly well considering the pain she has been experiencing. So today was a zero day  and we will be in town one more night! We have a room at the Appalachian motel on the outskirts. It is comfortable and professes to be dog friendly. Scott and I had to walk the dogs to the motel along a main road which was scary so that was a bad start and then were told the cost was twenty bucks a dog a night - WHAT? No return of money either! We were told this was for cleaning but they don't deep clean every night you are there and most rooms were smoking rooms - our room stank of stale smoke but of course smokers dont have to pay extra do they?!!! So I got on my soap box twice today! We went off to do our laundry so were walking around town like hobos with bags of incredibly stinky clothes - now Vernon is a very spread out town - more spread out than most towns and in the end we gave up looking for the laundromat!!! Soap box point number two! I always wonder why when these towns Are built why they are made so pedestrian unfriendly? Even when shops are close together you take your life into your hands trying to cross roads or obstacles to get to them!! Grrrr! But I do have to admit that Vernon is a super nice town and the people we came across were incredibly friendly! I had my first coffee  in a week which was actually a little disappointing! Had a fab breakfast in a great little place called the mixing bowl which squatch had previously recommended - great food and atmosphere! I prided myself on ordering a whole breakfast without our waitress having to ask me any questions about toast or eggs lol! Any Brit or other foreigner will understand the gauntlet of ordering an american breakfast!  My brain always amazes me how evil it can be - on the trail my mind is often occupied with thoughts of what i would like to eat when all these joyous items aren't available to me! So I plan in minute detail what I am going to order to eat in the next town! I have been looking forward to this breakfast for six days! My brain always does this when I am out in the field or away from civilisation hahaha! I am used to the evilness of my mind when it comes to food now and it really makes you appreciate the good stuff when you get it! We managed to hook up with thirty pack and the rest of the wolf pack gang and I finally met Gumby! So great to see these guys as haven't seen them since they left our house after the July 4th party!!  We also did a little resupply and then hit the motel again - I washed through some clothes as didn't want to completely repulse my wonderful mother in law with my incredible stench!Fabulous takeaway and in the evening we were joined by thirty pack And another group of north bounders who I have heard so much about but yet to meet. Pops, Yukon, Squatch, Boomer and Daffy duck! Its great to meet these amazing characters that I have heard Scott talk about so much and get to spend some quality time with them! You get to hear some great stories along the trail!  Pops said some great things which I have taken on board - the trail will always provide you with what you need and the journey may not be what you expected but it is your journey and you don't necessarily have to have done the whole trail! Very very wise and lovely guy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment