Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Monday, April 9, 2012

Here is the latest blog from Scott. As you can read he is now in one of the remotest parts of the trail and doing so well. I am so proud of him although I miss him and the furry monsters alot! I can't wait to join them!! Hoping for a June start for myself! Am going to ring the kennel and check in on the boys - hope they are enjoying their down time and not being naughty!! Thanks to everyone for supporting us and donating to these very worthy causes for our troops! And to those of you on the trail with Scott I cannot wait to join you all - looks like you are all having an amazing adventure! Happy Easter to everyone and happy trails to those on the AT  and enjoy hope you all enjoy these latests blogs from Scott! Vicki x

Day 20, 12.5 miles, Mollies Ridge Shelter at AT mile marker 173.2. So my first day without the boys with me...I missed them a lot! I know they are in good hands but I sure do miss their company. I am sleeping in a shelter for only the second time as I figured no sense setting up a 3 man tent for myself. Not sure I will do this again though as I prefer the tent to sleeping with 12 other folks. The wolf pack is here but we have a few randoms in the shelter so I think those in the tents made the right decision. The walk into the smokeys was a long climb up hill. It was made a bit worse as I did not realize how much stuff the boys were carrying for me. Throw the first aid kit, a leather man and a few others items into my pack, along with a six day food supply and my pack weight went up 10-12 pounds....it was heavy. I did not weigh it but if it was under 60 pounds I would be surprised...so it was a long 12.5 miles. It only gets lighter and easier from here so the hard part is over. It was a beautiful day and is a clear night so its pretty cold...probably in the 30's.  So time to Zip up the sleeping bag a try to sleep listening to 4 people snore. Definitely doing the tent from now on. :).

Day 21, 12 miles, Derrick Knob Shelter at AT mile marker 188.8. Happy Easter everyone. I had an excellent Easter in the Smokies hiking along during a beautiful day. There is a family hiking, which is very cool, and their 9 year old son gave away his Easter basket to everyone at the shelter which was very much appreciated...what a great little kid. Today we got above 5500 feet at Thunderhead Peak and tomorrow we cross the highest point on the AT...Clingmans Dome at 6643 feet. We are also now under 2000 miles to go so almost there. :).
I have just finished my 3rd week and thought I would give a status update. All the equipment we have has been great. I did find a small tear in the tent fly but that was easy to fix. I get a bit of ribbing carrying a 3 man tent but it works great for me and the boys and will be perfect when Vicki joins me  The sleeping bag is kicking butt in these 30 degree nights so no issue there. The backpack is also great but if you are ever looking to tie down two golden retrievers, do not use a 50 pound backpack. Yes it does get dragged across the parking lot as they follow you...minor repairs have been made. My left big toe nail as been wanting to leave home since day 3 but is still holding on for some reason. I had a blister the size of my pinky toe on my right pinky toe...I named it "Serpico". We had a nurse traveling with us and her professional medical opinion was "that's raunchy!". :) anyway, Serpico left us a week ago but it's taking a bit to heal so we may have the return of Serpico or some Serpico scar when we finish the AT. None of it hurts so all is good. Everything else is working as advertised, and the boys are doing great with just minor issues, so after 3 weeks I would say we are in good shape. A big 13.5 day tomorrow over the highest point so looking forward to that. As soon as I get a blooming signal I will post some photos and a short video I took just to show you all what the trail is like.

2 comments:

  1. Scott - I started my thru-hike 18 years ago today. All these updates (and this anniversary) have given me an extreme case of A.T. Fever. I'm following you every step of the way, man, have a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way, I'm with you on the shelter vibe. I'll take a tent any day - except in the rain. Plus those Smoky Mountain mice are no joke. Woke up more than a few times with a mouse on my head.

    ReplyDelete