Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Sunday, April 1, 2012

Day 14, 1 Apr 2012, 114.4 of 2184 complete

Day 14, 4.6 miles Siler Bald Mountain. Had a excellent zero day yesterday...it seemed to go on forever just relaxing around the cabin. Thanks everyone for all your comments and good wishes. They are great and make my day. I apologize for not answering everyone individually but I would run our of time and power on my phone. :) but please keep them coming as I love hearing from everyone...especially about my ridiculous hair. It's funny as I show the crew I'm with what I "normally" look like and they all say "no way dude, your totally rockin the long hair and beard, we would not know you without it"...so it makes me laugh. About a week ago we started howling as a joke and as a way to find out where each other are on the trail. That's kind of evolved a bit and other folks on the trail and in town are referring to us as the "wolf pack" which is great. we added another 5 to our pack thi weekend so our band of merry travelers continues to expand. Today we got a shuttle from the hotel to the trail head. We were going to go approx 11 miles but BirdShooter and a few of the trail "legends" at the bash this weekend said we need to see Siler Bald Mountain...only approx 5 miles into the day. One guy said it is one of the four top views on the entire AT. So we came here and decided to camp. It is amazing! I will upload some photos into Facebook but there is no way to capture the unbelievable 360 degree view. We have approx 15 folks camping up here and we all sat and watched the sunset in relative silence...then we all howled. :)  the plan is to get up for the sunrise but we will see if I do I will post those photos as well. Plan for tomorrow us to get back into it and do about 11 miles. 

2 comments:

  1. Scott, I truly am enjoying your daily trail notes. From my living room I feel as if I'm taking the journey, well somewhat that is, with you. You are to be admired for your courage and dedication to what will be a truly remarkable journey. One step at a time. Take care. Love, Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you got to experience a night on Siler Bald - such a great place. Sounds like you are having a blast. I plan to see your Mom this Friday in Hilton Head, and I'm sure we'll talk about the Trail most of the evening. Best wishes - and here's more pics of Siler Bald for your Blog audience. BirdShooter

    http://n2backpacking.com/photos/north_carolina/ATNC/siler/siler%2010_96/siler%2010_96P.htm

    http://n2backpacking.com/photos/north_carolina/ATNC/siler/siler%203_00/siler%203_00P.htm

    http://n2backpacking.com/photos/north_carolina/ATNC/siler/siler%206_02/siler%206_02P.htm

    ReplyDelete