Please visit our links above and donate what you can to these Organizations. The Men and Women of our Military services deserve nothing but the absolute best for their sacrifices. THANK YOU!!

Sunday, September 9, 2012

3-4 Sept. Our Final two days


Monday, 3 September, Day 55 AT v2.0, 0 miles, Wonderful Trail Magic Day and Camp. By PapaWolf - After a great day off, we were breaking down camp, cleaning things up and deciding where to head today. As I was cleaning some dishes I had a very nice conversation with the owner of the campsite…Maureen. Turns out her Grandfather flew in WWII in the Navy and her Dad flew in Vietnam. When she found out we were hiking for the Wounded Warrior project and Help for Hero's, she did not charge us for the campsite. I said that was not necessary, but she insisted…what a wonderful, wonderful lady. I "compromised" by letting her know that the money we would have paid for the site was going to be donated to the charities in her name…what a nice way to start off the morning.  Then…Mango returned from dropping off Rampage and Gumby at the trail (early risers those twoJ), with news of a Cabin that may be available to us…unbelievable. So, along with our campsite Angel Maureen, here is a perfect trail magic story that pretty much encompasses how wonderfully things work on the trail. Two thru Hiker friends, Manula and Tree Trunk, a wonderful couple in their late 50's who actually only live 20 miles from us, were in a coffee shop in Vermont last month when Manula saw a gentleman in his 60's wearing a t-shirt from an obscure hotel on the trail…you probably would not go to this place unless you were on the AT. So Manula said hello and made a comment on the shirt. Well, this gentleman had thru-hiked in 2003 so they got to chatting. He told them he had a cabin in Maine just off the trail, and to call him when they were near. Fast forward a month, and they called. Well, they ended up spending a wonderful night with this Gentleman and his wife. They lived near the coast of Maine, but wanted a place near they trail so had bought this beautiful cabin three years ago and loved talking to, and helping hikers. They were heading back home today but invited Manula and Tree Trunk to spend another night and bring any other Thru-Hikers back with them to enjoy the hospitality of a warm bed and a roof.  Mango sees Manula and Tree Trunk at the trail head and they invite us to join them…so here we sit in this beautiful log cabin. The owners are not even here but how wonderful they open their house to us…all because of a comment made about a t-shirt at a coffee shop two states away…I LOVE the AT!!!
The all-knowing "They", which all of us who have made it this far are now a part of, say that "The trail will provide". Fun words to say and something to hope for, but I have experienced this first hand on more than one occasions. When I was on top of Dragon Tooth on 31 May and received the phone call about the house break-in, I was trying to figure out How, being 3 miles up a mountain with two dogs and no shower for a week, was I going to hitch hike the 30+ miles to Roanoke, Virginia, rent a car, and get back to NY the next day. Just a few minutes later, as I was weighing my options, my friends "The Incredible's" come around the corner. I tell them I need to leave the trail, and Elasta Girl immediately calls her Uncle, who lives an hour away, and without a moment's hesitation, hops in his truck and comes and picks me up and drives me to the airport where I get my rental car and am on my way…this is on a Thursday afternoon...what are the chances he's available. Today is another one of those days. We arrived at the Cabin and Crocadilly started working on a job application, Turns out it was due today, not in a few days so that was lucky. More importantly, she was able to Skype her Mum and check in on her Grandfather who has not been doing very well as of late. Well, the ability to actually talk with Mum convinced us that we needed to get back to the UK sooner rather than later. We did not want to head into the wilds of Maine, have no cell phone coverage for numerous days, and miss any important calls.  This cabin allowed us to make that Skype call, and was a perfect place to make the decision to come off the trail. This morning we were heading for a stealth campsite somewhere on a gravel road, but the Trail knew we had more important things to attend to so provided us this cabin…"The Trail will provide".                  

Tuesday, 4 September, Day's 131 and 56 - Our Families Hunt Lake Camp, NY. The final day of our Appalachian Trail Adventure… By Crocadilly - So our journey has had to come to an end. After walking over 500 miles I am so sad to be coming off the trail but unfortunately my grandpa is very sick and we feel we need to go back to the UK and to be with family. The past couple of months have been an amazing journey and I feel so proud in all that I have accomplished both mentally and physically. I have seen the best of humanity on my travels, have met so many amazing people and have found wonderful new friends and have many many happy and amazing memories that I will take with me. I believe there is a reason for everything that has happened this year whatever it may be. Maybe we will never fully know what that reason is or maybe in the following months it will all become clear.  As Papa Wolf said the trail provides. I wish all of our friends on the trail love and luck as they finish the AT and I am with them all in spirit. Here's to the completion of journeys and the start of new journeys whatever they may be. XxX
By Papa Wolf - After the decision was made last night, we decided we needed to have a little feast to celebrate the end of a wonder adventure. As we were in this cabin, there was an excellent grill, so I headed to the local store and picked up some beer, salad stuff and lots of rib eyes for everyone. J  We had a terrific dinner and evening with Tree trunk, Manula, their support vehicle driver Debbie, Mango, Rampage, and Gumby. It's appropriate that Gumby was there as I set up my tent on 19 March, Day 1, right next to hers, so we have been on this journey "together" all summer. Although my Appalachian Trail Thru Hike tuned into a VERY long section Hike, I have had the most unbelievable summer and will cherish this experience for ever. I was on the trail for just over 4 months and managed to hike approx. 1250 miles. Mojo and Skye hiked approx. 1200 miles. Crocadilly was on the trail for nearly two months and hiked over 500 miles. Tailbone was on the trail for well over a month and, despite being in charge of the support vehicle, managed to hike approx. 130 miles. We have met the most wonderful friends, and a couple of "crazies", who have MADE this trip for me…The Wolf Pack, Rampage, Mango, Pops, Apollo, Ole Smoke, Socks, Yukon, Squach, Boomer, Otto, and many others who helped make this just the best summer. I will always be a little disappointed that I will not be able to call myself a "Thru-Hiker", but that is a small, small insignificant fraction of how great this journey has been. Who knows, someday we may go back and finish the miles we missed and "complete" the trail. Backpacking and Hiking are now in our blood although I must say I still prefer outdoor sports where machines take you uphill and gravity helps you downhill so ski trips will always have priority. J I leave with a happy heart and am content, and proud (if you allow me this small vice), of what we have accomplished this summer. Besides the personal accomplishment, to date we have raised just over $3500 for the Wounded Warrior Project and 450 pounds for Help for Heroes..those are the important numbers. We cannot thank everyone enough who have supported us through this trip and have donated to these charities. The trail has given me more than I could have imagined or hoped and I will always cherish this experience…We truly have had just the best Appalachian Trail Adventure!    

                 Papa Wolf, Crocadilly, TailBone, Mango, Rampage and 30 Pack

2 comments:

  1. Just found and read your AT blog. Really enjoyed it, wish I'd found it while you were traveling! Especially enjoyed your comments comparing bustling Troutdale to your home town... I went to school in Utica, live near Rochester now. Thanks for sharing and writing so much!
    Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to add - I love reading multiple journals from hikers who pass by each other and talk about each other. I read Peach's journal in the last few weeks too. She mentions a time, I think it was around Tennessee, when she ran into a rowdy and druken wolf pack! Then she is thankful at the next stop that the alcohol seemed to have run out.... so funny.

    ReplyDelete